How to blast WASSCE Chemistry in Waec 2020
paragraphChemistry is one of the main subjects that every science student can learn in secondary school. Being a science subject, students recognize chemistry as a subject. Chemistry is subject that studies matter and its properties.
paragraphThe chemistry exam in WAEC is divided into three categories which are Chemistry-Objective, Chemistry-Theory and Chemistry-Practical. The Chemistry-Practical carries 40 marks, and Chemistry-Objective and Chemistry-Theory carry 30 marks each. Adding the marks you will arrive at a total of 100 marks.
paragraphTherefore, the Practical carries the highest marks. A student should not take his or her chemistry practical for granted. There is a high rate of scoring a good mark in the Practical is high. As we move further I would be giving you tips on each part of chemistry.
paragraphHowever, getting an A1 in chemistry requires you to be able to read and understand chemistry concepts. So many students find it challenging to grasp the concept of any topic in chemistry, and as a result of this, they are not able to tackle Waec chemistry questions. They keep seeing Wassce physics questions as hurdles impossible to cross. I recently wrote an article on how to read and understand. I recommend you check my article on how to read and understand so as to pass the Wassce chemistry exam with an A1.
paragraphAlso, time management is not only crucial during the preparation for an exam. It is very important when writing an exam too. I have seen students fail exams because they felt the time for the exam wasn't enough and as such, they could not attempt so many questions in the exam. This is the more reason you should check out my article on how to write exams and finish well on time.
paragraphThe chemistry objective is a part of the exam in which the candidate is given one hour to finish the exam. The exam consists of fifty questions with four options each. The chemistry objective is the simplest part of the chemistry exam in WAEC if you know what you are doing.
Some tips to prepare for chemistry objectives are;
- Make sure that you have covered the WAEC syllabus for chemistry because the questions can come from any topic.
- When you start the exam, answer the questions that you can answer as quickly as possible.
- After answering the question that you have, you can now come back to answer the tricky questions.
- Use the elimination method to answer tricky questions. The elimination method is a method of answering questions in which you compare, contrast and eliminates the given options until you arrive at a reasonable answer. Note this method is for a question that you have no clue about.
paragraphChemistry theory is also a part of the exam in which the candidate is given two hours to finish the exam. The exam consists of two categories usually termed section A and section B. In one section all the questions are compulsory while in the other section the candidates are allowed to two questions from that section.
Some tips to prepare for chemistry theory/essay are;
- Make sure you are prepared to explain what you have read
- Always analyze the marks for each question
- If you are asked to enumerate three things and the question carries nine marks. You should explain each item whether you are asked to do so or not
- Make sure you answer the necessary questions
- Make sure each number fall in the same category. For example, if you answer numbers 1a and 1b but you are not able to answer 1c. Make sure that you leave a blank space for that question. Do not move to the next question like number 2 without leaving space.
paragraphChemistry practical carries the highest marks and has three questions. The candidate is given two hours. Candidates are allowed to answer all questions and answers for chemistry Practical.
Some tips to prepare for chemistry practicals are;
- Make sure you concentrate on Qualitative analysis, Quantitative or Volumetric analysis (Titration) because those are the topics the questions must be set from.
- Make sure that you how to identify gases, anions, cations and some special compounds with their colour, smell, texture, and reaction with certain reagents because this will help you in your
- Make sure your tables are very neat. Note that this point is very vital.
I recommend you check my article on the following:
- Check my tutorial on indices
- How to blast mathematics in the wassce 2020 exams with an A
- How to get an A in the wassce biology 2020 exams
- How to blast physics in the wassce 2023 exams with an A.
- How to pass the wassce further mathematics exam excellently well in 2020
- How to manage time efficiently as a student.
- Seven mistakes to avoid as a year one students in the university.
- How to graduate with first class from any Nigerian university.
- How to save money efficiently as a student.
- Check out 8 factors to consider before choosing a university.
Check out my tutorial video on Boyle’s law:
Check out my tutorial video on Charles’ law
paragraphThis is all we can take on “How to pass waec chemistry exams with distinctions“.